Wednesday 17 May 2017

35. HIIT me baby, one more time!


I see from the date of my last blogpost that it's been over seven months since I last wrote anything about my health and fitness regime. 

*Note to self* BAD! 

So in order to make amends, I've decided to write a series of quick pieces that explain what’s been going on between then and now.

Autumn 2016

After my short late summer vacation to Greece – see previous post –  I returned to Edinburgh a couple of kilograms heavier than I left it. I also came back with negative thoughts about work and confused in what I was trying to achieve in the gym.

One Tuesday morning I went to Luke Bremner Fitness as usual in order to workout. However I spent that whole hour discussing my mental well-being with Luke. Together we decided that it was time to refresh my programme, so that I could reconnect with my original aims and objectives. 

Luke's solution was inspired. He introduced me to Tabata training, which is a high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout. 

Out went the heavy-weights, and in came a series of exercises performed for 40 seconds each with a 20 second rest between. After completing five or six exercises I was allowed a longer break, before starting the cycle over again. 

In addition, Mr Bremner decided to crank-up the intensity even more. He produced three different Tabatas for me to do each week. Although at first I found these routines relentless, over several weeks I came to enjoy them. 

More importantly, by the time winter arrived, the bad funk I felt at the start of the autumn had evaporated. Work life had improved again, – more about that in my next post – plus I was back on track and committed to the lifestyle change I proactively decided to make in 2014.

I felt that my rest, over the Yuletide period, was well earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment