Monday 28 April 2014

4: And breathe out…


On occasions it feels as though I'm swimming against the tide. Being a Piscean must have something to do with it. For the uninitiated, that star sign is represented by two fish swimming in different directions. There has to be a conflict of interest within me somewhere. If there's an easy and a hard way to do something, the chances are I'll choose the more difficult route.

Who knew breathing could be so difficult?

As I pant and struggle my way through the super-sets of exercises, that Mr Bremner has lined-up for me each week, one thing has become apparent. I appear to breathe in when I should be expelling air and vice-versa.

I can feel Luke's - and my own - frustration. I often start exercises with the correct breathing pattern, but somewhere in the middle of a set something happens. Suddenly I'm out of sync again. Thankfully I'm told not to worry about it too much - plus I'm beginning to get better but only slightly.

In addition to my twice weekly visits to Luke's Jamaica Street gym I'm regularly working-out at home too - mostly stretching exercises to strengthen my core muscles and make my body more pliable. To help me, I've recently invested in a gym ball and a foam roller.

Unfortunately I received a malfunctioned gym ball. It's mischievous and misbehaves at every opportunity. If I try to roll it towards me using my feet, it'll decide to have a laugh and go left or right instead. At the moment I've put it in the "naughty corner" until it decides to play nicely.

Another thing that I've discovered is that foam rollers are not soft - in the same way that snow is not soft when you act like Bambi on skis and crash all the time! It's not often that the words 'foam' and 'Ouch!' go together, but one seems to follow another quite quickly in my currently vocabulary. I'm yet to be convinced by a tweet I read from a sporty nephew who assured me that "…foam roller exercises were fun!"

That all said, what's clearly evident is that after one month's personal training at Luke Bremner Fitness I'm slimmer, lighter, and more flexible than I was at the start of April. Plus I got a chat-up compliment from an assistant working in a local shop yesterday. Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment