Thursday 8 May 2014

5: Oh no! I'm now average

Luke Bremner Fitness external sign

The figures are in.

A combination of my physical endeavours at Luke Bremner Fitness - plus dietary changes and regular mini-workouts at home - are starting to pay-off.

In the past 5 weeks I've lost 3kg (6.6lbs) of weight. My waist has shrunk by approximately 7.5cm (3"), my chest has shrunk by 5cm (2"), but my arms are slowly starting to develop and increase in size. This all indicates that bad body fat is being replaced by lean fat. In summary, and to quote Ian Fletcher, "So basically that's all good!"

Looking at the figures, and consulting his charts, Luke congratulated me this morning on my body now being "average" for my age and height. My response was direct. "But I've never been average at anything!"

Each visit to Jamaica Street is often met with a new challenge set by Mr Bremner. On reflection, this is exactly what I needed - limits to be pushed and boundaries to be reached. As Luke reminds me, when I'm standing in front of the barbell ready to do a set of deadlifts, "It's just ten kilos on there Derek." Psychologically this is a great way to think about the 50kg (110lbs) that I'm actually about to lift.

I've also discovered that Mr Bremner is a bit a sneaky. Whilst I'm off focussing on a different super-set exercise, he'll slip an extra 5kg (10lbs) on the barbell for my next set of deadlifts - but doesn't tell me. However the upshot is that I leave enthused and invigorated after each session by what I've managed to achieve.

To say that 'I'm surprised' or 'delighted' about my rate of progress would be an understatement. I know that there is still a long way for me to go, before I reach the original goals and incentives I set myself. However the Luke Bremner Fitness strapline isn't wrong, when it reminds me each week, that I'm now fitter, stronger, healthier and happier than I was before I started.

1 comment:

  1. Well done you. Just try not to outshine your sister in her wedding pics ; )

    ReplyDelete