Thursday 22 May 2014

7: Whey to go!


It's hard to believe that yet another week has hurtled by. 

Luke at Luke Bremner Fitness has been challenging me more than ever. In general I've been managing to achieve all that's been asked of me, but not necessarily in the most tidy of fashions. As the exercises become increasingly complex there is more to focus on: posture, technique, breathing and apparatus. However it's all gradually coming together albeit slowly.

As I was getting ready to leave after today's workout, Luke mentioned that he hadn't talked to me much about my diet or nutrition as he felt he didn't really need to. He said that I'd seemed to have embraced all the recommendations he made at the beginning of April. 

This is true. Open the cupboards in my kitchen and you'll find that boxes of breakfast cereal have been swapped with bags of mixed seeds and nuts, protein bars have replaced chocolate, and packs of whey protein-shake powders reside where cartons of sugar-loaded fruit juice once sat. Similarly a quick look in my refrigerator reveals nothing but fresh vegetables, some dairy produce and basic, but healthy, raw ingredients. 

About three years ago I decided to refrain from eating meat. This wasn't a decision taken on moral grounds. The fact was that I'd been seriously ill and during my recovery period I couldn't entertain the idea of consuming poultry, beef, lamb or pork. Once I was well again, I continued on this regime. I still treat myself to a little fish from time to time – especially as Stockbridge is home to Armstrong's – which is an amazing fishmonger.

Adapting my diet to suit my fitness regime and new healthy lifestyle hasn't been that difficult, even being a pescatarian. It has just given me more of an excuse to go into the kitchen and experiment with different combinations of vegetables and foodstuffs in order to create tasty, textured dishes. This week I made sweet potato and parsnip mash to accompany one meal, and tried butternut squash stuffed with quinoa and olives as a main course for another. Both super-tasty and healthy. In addition they're both definitely on the "play-list" of things to make again.

I guess I find it strange behaviour for anyone to pay a professional for their expert advice and then to choose to ignore it. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, a good physique is made as much in the kitchen as it is in the gym. If, like me, you've mentally decided to change your lifestyle, then listen to your personal trainer and/or nutritionalist and adopt everything they tell you. If you don't, then the only loser will ultimately be you!

No comments:

Post a Comment