Friday 11 July 2014

12. Nuts!


Often in life it's the small insignificant things that provide us with biggest surprises. Last week I posted an image of some Greek Yoghurt with mixed nuts and blueberries on Argus. Most of my usual friends and followers, on that app, indicated their approval of this dish by liking it. One or two even took the trouble to write a complimentary comment about it too.

As the week has progressed the number of likes and comments for this photo has gathered momentum. The last time I looked almost 100 people had given the picture a "thumbs-up." Who knew that this dessert, that was really quick to put together, would fire the taste-buds in others. I'm not sure whether it's the combination of ingredients, with their different textures and flavours that have inspired people. Now seems to be an appropriate time to let you into a little secret though. I was simply finishing up bits and pieces from my refridgerator because they were nearing their use by date. There, the truth is out!

Last Saturday, as I busied around my appartment doing domestic chores, I had the TV tuned to Le Grande Depart of the Tour de France. For 2014 this particular element of the race was hosted in the UK, with the first two stages taking place in the English county of Yorkshire. I was particularly interest to see these, as the riders passed through many of the places I had visited with my parents, when we once holidayed there several years ago. 

It was brilliant to see how the British public got right behind the race. For me, it evoked memories of the London 2012 Olympics, as again huge crowds lined the roadsides and took up every vantage-point in order to see the pelaton pass by. I remember feeling an urge two years ago to buy an bicycle and start cycling again, and these feelings emerged again last week.

For gentleman of my age there is a danger that if we purchase a bike we suddenly become a MAMIL - middle-age man in Lycra - which is a wonderful accronym that I was introduced to recently. Personally speaking I haven't needed to acquire the bike, the regular gym routine has already done it's job in this respect. 

Yesterday Luke commented on a new Nike Pro Combat training shirt I was wearing. As I explained to him, I'd bought it about a month ago but I've only just acquired the confidence to wear it - due mainly to the way my body is changing and the shape it's becoming. For those who don't know, this range of clothing is marketed as a "second skin" and the fit is very snug. As Luke pointed out to me "There's no hiding place in that shirt Derek." And he was right, from now on my abs will always need to be engaged whenever I decide to wear it to his gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment