Wednesday 23 July 2014

13: Taps-Aff


Scotland has been enjoying some glorious weather over the past few days – quite a rarity for up here. As a result I've done what the saying advises and been "Making hay while the sun shines." Of course it helps when friends from outwith the city come to visit. Last weekend Tom, a friend from Bristol, was in town for the first time, so I decided to take a half day last Friday and show him around.

For those who have never been to my adopted city before – I was originally born in the south east of England but have lived in Edinburgh for 23 years – let me explain that the centre is really rather compact. Despite our fabulous bus system and excellent new tram line, in my opinion the best way to experience Scotland's capital is on foot. Also, due to Edinburgh's undulating terrain, this doubles-up as great cardiovascular exercise too.

After a quick stop at mine to drop off luggage, we ventured to the Royal Botanic Garden for a spot of lunch al-fresco at their Terrace Café. From there we headed to Calton Hill to enjoy panoramas of the city before dropping back down to Princes Street for an afternoon coffee. Crossing to Edinburgh's Old Town we sauntered up the Royal Mile enjoying the free street entertainment on offer, then climbed to the top of the Camera Obscura. We made a final descent to the bustling Grassmarket before allowing ourselves an early evening beer in the beautiful surroundings of Princes Street Gardens. In total we covered 12km (7.5 miles) without really thinking about it.

Walking more has been another part of my fitness regime over the past 4 months – however there are people I follow on the Argus app who are prolific walkers and put my daily average of 5–6km (3–3.5miles) to shame. That said, when Luke Bremner took my measurements at his training studio last week we discovered that I've already hit one of the new targets we set last month - this was to lose another 2.5cm (1") from my waist. Since April I've lost over 14cm (5.5") from my waist and over 10cm (4") from my chest.

It's stats like these that bring me to the photo above. I took this selfie yesterday when I wandered into Inverleith Park to enjoy the warmth of the early evening sunshine. Due to the recent achievements I've been making, through diet and exercise, I have a new level of confidence about my body. Taking my shirt off in public - commonly referred to as "taps-aff" in Scotland - doesn't seem to phase me now, nor does posting a photo of me like that either. I guess it's another example of how Luke's strapline of "Fitter. Stronger. Healthier. Happier" is spot on and summarises how his clients' feel after working with him. I know I certainly do.

As the Fringe Festival starts in earnest at the end of next week I expect the Scottish weather to return to our more traditional wet, and not quite so wet, climate. In the meantime, when the sun does shine I intend to enjoy it a little more at the park.   

No comments:

Post a Comment